Tuesday, January 03, 2006

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot, And days of auld lang syne?"

Ah...the new year has come. But wait, what's that you say little crackers? You wanna hear the story of you devoted author's New Year's Eve celebration? Well, normally I would never take requests. I mean, come on, the blog title has the word narcissim in it. However, since I'm fully aware of just how interested you, my faithful readers, are in all aspects of my life...I will tell you the story of my celebratory weekend.

The weekend started for me on Friday, as I'm sure it did for anyone who makes use of the traditional days of the week. Once I got off work on Friday I made for Jefferson City, Missouri (Where you can Feel the history.) to meet the lovely Brook and her folks. See the folks were on their way to Warrensburg, Missouri (Where the visitor's bureau would prefer you just look at the history.). The lovely Brook, quite happily for me, was on her way back with me to our hometown so that we might celebrate the holiday together.

First however, we dined at El Jimador. For those of you less worldly types who speak no Spanish, El Jimador translates roughly into "man this is a big f-ing menu."

I mean really...how many f-ing burrito specials does a restaurant need? It was like hearing Bubba tell you how many ways shrimp can be prepared. We go burrito sandwiches, burrito stew, barbecued burrito......You get the idea.

So anyway, after taking a hour to read the menu and 20 minutes to have dinner, Brook and I headed back home to mid-Missouri's smallest apartment, to enjoy a leisurely evening to ourselves. We watched the fantastically great Sin City, which Brook had, up to that night, tragically never seen before. Brook enjoyed it quite a bit and I was reminded of just how great a filmmaker Robert Rodriguez can be when he isn't making his kiddie bullshit.

So yeah, the next morning began rather early for me as I had to spend the day at the hotel which has me in its employ. So while Brook was able to sleep in, hang out with the dogs and watch Arrested Development, I was fortunate enough to cater to rednecks, stodgy old folk and assorted other salt of the earth who sought out the multitude of parties being thrown at the Inn. Great.....

Anyway, the day finally ended and I was able to catch a couple of z's before getting gussied up for the evening's shindig at the house of Liz, Amy and Anne. Brook looked fabulous in her black dress while I sported the navy suit and was rockin' fuchsia shirt with a purple tie. Now, I look sort of strange wearing nice clothes, but this combo RAWKED!

The party was a blast. Brook and I supped on the very best Andre Cold Duck champagne. (On sale 3 for 9 dollars at your local Gerbe's) I was able to see some old friends, including the recently married Shawn and Shelley Parker. It was nice because it was after Shawn and Shelley's reception that Brook and I were able to re-connect. Anyway, another story for another time.

Karaoke was going on all over the place. I absolutely disgraced Neil Diamond with my take on Sweet Caroline. Brook took a pretty good turn at You're So Vain, a song Carly Simon may or may not have been directing at either James Taylor, Warren Beatty or Cat Stevens and I'm pretty sure Brook was not directing at myself. The non-Jeff singing low-light may have been turned in by Steven and Josh who "sang" a duet of Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay. All I can say is I wanted to jump in a bay and thank goodness Otis is already dead or that would have finished him off for sure. And quite frankly, a murder investigation just doesn't make for good partying.

[Editor's Note: Party is not an f-ing verb moron.]

So was it just me or did Dick Clark look like a stroke victim on TV that night? What's that? He did? Huh...well aren't I the asshole then?

Anyway, did you know how intoxicating Cold Duck can be? It looks like juice...but it's really jack you up juice. I like it a lot.

Oh, by the by, JFo should you be reading this I apologize profusely for not making it to your shindig. I had fully intended to and then...well it was the Cold Duck.

OK...I'm bored with this for now. That was New Year's Eve. Check back later for the New Year's Day re-cap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home