Wednesday, February 22, 2006

"Our So-Called Leaders Speak. With Words They Try To Jail You."

Well folks, another day has passed without Dick Cheney shooting anyone. Of course, as Jack Palance would say, "day ain't over yet."

Interesting item came out of my alma mater today. The University of Missouri-Columbia, after presumably an exhaustive study, concluded socks made entirely of cotton are the most likely to cause blisters. Get if folks? 100% cotton=greater chance of blisters.

How does one write a grant proposal for that? Must have been hitting up podiatrists for the money.

So I'm not sure if any of you caught this, but an interesting court decision came down across the pond a couple of days back. In Vienna, Austria, (famed for its nauseating sausages) a Mr. David Irving was sentenced to three years in prison. His crime? For claiming the Holocaust never happened. Back in 1989 Mr. Irving made two different speeches in Vienna denying the Holocaust and the existence of gas chambers at the Auschwitz concentration camp. This is a direct violation of an Austrian law that proscribes against the marginalization of the Holocaust.

Now let's overlook what is was Mr. Irving actually said in his speeches on the grounds of his claims being completely and totally ridiculous. First off, it's one thing to claim the Holocaust never happened, but to claim there are no gas chambers at Auschwitz? I'm sorry, but it doesn't take a architect to tell you what the closed rooms with the vents are.

The real issue here is what I would call...well, one of the more egregious violations of free speech I have heard of in all my years. When did it become illegal to be wrong? It might make you a dipshit, but should it really make you a peg-boy for the shower room? I think not.

Okay, I'm not gonna blog on anything distasteful today as I'm still pissy about the raccoon thing. Instead, it's time to re-locate.

So I began the arduous process of moving from Columbia's worst apartment to mine and the lovely Brook's new place. The apartment is pretty nice, but I have already noticed a peculiarity or two.

Actually all the peculiarities spring from one fact. The apartment is haunted. I have a couple bits of evidence. First, the living room lights seem to flicker on and off at random times. It's not the bulbs, I replaced them all. At first I thought maybe someone had just put motion lights in the living room...you know, as a joke. I thought this because the first time they went out they stayed out. Then as I waved my hand in front of the fixture they came back on. However, subsequent dousings of the lights have not righted themselves through waving, so I'm thinking the first time came about as some sort of cosmic coincidence. Or maybe....there's a spirit. You know, he/she/it could be watching me and it's like the old trick with the dollar bill tied to the string. Instead of leading the poor dollar-seeking fool around with said string, the spirit is instead waiting for me to wave at the lights...like a fool.

Also, there is a huge amount of kinetic energy flowing throughout the apartment. I can't even think of the word static without something in the apartment shocking me. I've taken to actually moving about the apartment in the dark. I'm pleased to say my night vision is now almost Navy Seal-esque in its acuity. This helps me to avoid both the mild shocks to my digits and the, at times, maddening flickering of the living room lights.

That said I really like the new place. There's free expanded basic cable, something I've not enjoyed in a couple of years. What I love about cable is the ability to watch things you would otherwise never consider viewing. Just last night I had my choice of either It Takes Two starring the Olsen twins and Steve Guttenberg or Three Men and a Little Lady, starring the National Rifle Association's own Tom Selleck and...Steve Guttenberg. If Police Academy had been on I would have hit the Guttenberg trifecta.

Oh incidentally, there are plans in place for an 8th installment of the Police Academy saga. And yes children, Mr. Guttenberg will be back. Hey, quick debate, what's the better Guttenberg (or Gutenberg)? Steve or the Bible?

So any big plans for the Mardi Gras weekend? The lovely Brook and I will be in St. Louis on Saturday for the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club concert. We hope to meet up with old friend Andrew Hicks and I guess the possibility is open for a trip to Soulard for the bead-tossing, breast-showing, bodily functions in the streets fun that is Mardi Gras. Brook and I will also be celebrating her birthday. Coincidentally, Mr. Hicks will also be celebrating his birthday this weekend, and I secured a pair of tickets to the BRMC show my baby brother the Outlaw Josey as a present for his birthday, which was in January.

Just to re-cap, everyone will be celebrating a birthday but me. Which, in my mind, makes me the star. You know..."one of these things is not like the others." Of course, I still belong, but I will be celebrating one of my 364 un-birthdays.

By the way, let me know if you get the double meaning of today's title. I mean it ain't the Da Vinci code or anything when it comes to difficulty, but I do love double meanings. Oh, and the placement of this paragraph is in no way an indication of the either meaning expressed by said blog title.

You know what else I saw on cable? The Three Musketeers, starring among others, Charlie Sheen and Kiefer Sutherland. Do you think they look back on those days and sort of grimace? Or do we watch 24 and Two and a Half Men and wonder "how the fuck did this happen?" I do like Julie Delpy though. She's pretty and doesn't toss away her accent for films....ahhh.

Okay, that's all for now kids. Check back for a weekend update and until then remember....

"We ain't afraid of no ghosts."

JeffRey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home