Saturday, January 16, 2010

In Dog We Trust

Wow...so has it really been more than 2 years since I last posted to this thing? Well, since I can't believe all the tubes and wires that make up the interwebs would lie to me I guess it has.

I know I've said this before, but it really is my intent to keep this thing up. I have regular computer and internet access where I live for the first time in a long time, so if I don't keep this up now I probably never will.

Should I keep it up this blog will continue to bring you my feelings on a wide range of issues, pop culture goings on, movies, music, books and sports, while at the same time bringing the razor sharp wit and biting sarcasm that I like to think I possess.

Today, however, we're going to catch everyone up just a bit.

First things first, I am currently seeing a very lovely young lady named Megan. She is a tad younger than I am, as she'll be turning 23 in March while I'll be turning 33 in April. (Yup, that's a 10-year gap. Any guys that want to give me an imaginary high-five may do so.)

We've been going out since last March and things are going quite well. Megan is in nursing school right now, and is expecting to be finished this July. At that point she may continue on with school or try to find a gig as a nurse midwife.

We met thanks to being co-workers at the Central Missouri Humane Society. And that represents the other really big part of my life. For the last two years I have worked at the Humane Society and the experience has made animal welfare a huge part of what I am. You will undoubtedly see many blog posts relating to my shelter specifically and animal welfare issues in general.

My current job with the shelter is Foster Care/Rescue Coordinator. Those are two programs that go a long way toward the shelter saving as many animals as possible. Foster Care is pretty much what it sounds like. I recruit folks to open up their homes to sick and/or poorly socialized animals or to shelter animals in general when we run out of space. The Rescue half of the job involves coordinating with shelters across the country to help get animals from CMHS (which is an open intake shelter, meaning we take every animal that comes through our door which means we are sometimes forced to euthanize animals) to no-kill shelters and rescues.

Megan is as equally passionate, if not more so, about animal welfare as I am. When you put two animal lovers together it would stand to reason they'd have some animals. So let me introduce you to our flock.

Sysco is a 14-year old Beagle. He and I first crossed paths 12 years ago and have been together ever since. He has aged gracefully into a crotchety old man. He has to go the bathroom every 2 hours or so. He rarely if ever listens. As has been the case the entire time I've known him, he'll ignore me completely if any women are around. I can't even being to imagine not having him around.

This photo is of him at last year's Woof Fest at the Wenwood Winery. He finished 2nd in the People's Choice Award balloting. He's definitely looking for the win this year.



Doc is a 2-year old Fox Hound. Megan and I fostered him while he was recovering from kennel cough. Now, she and I have done quite a bit of fostering and even though we get
attached to them all we're typically able to move every one of them on to permanent homes. It didn't take long with Doc to learn we wanted his permanent home to be with us.

He's our biggest dog. He's also our dog that acts most like a lap dog. He's goofy. He's a drama queen. He's our special boy.

Sadie is a 3-year old Beagle. She was brought into the shelter by a woman who said she was the sister of Sadie's owner, who had been killed in a car accident. The woman said she brought Sadie home with her, but she didn't fit in with her other dogs.

This little girl was scared to death when she came to the shelter. I had to reach into her carrier, pick her up and lift her out of the crate because she was so freaked out. On top of that she was pregnant. I couldn't let her stay in the shelter. So I brought her home. Even though she's kind of a freak and will chew on things if left unattended and without toys Megan and I fell in love with her anyway. She's the first female pet I've ever had.

A nice bonus with Sadie is that Sysco really gets along well with her. They'll sometimes sleep curled up in the same dog bed, and he will even let her eat out of the same food bowl as her....he does not like sharing his food bowl with other dogs.

And finally we have Little Man. Megan adopted him before we began going out, but I've known this little guy as long as she has since he came through the Humane Society as well. He's a Chihuahua/Papillion mix. He nearly didn't make it out of the shelter as he was a biter at first. Megan took him home to see if she could cure him of that. He still gets a little weird around kids and some strangers, but he has turned into quite the little love bug. I never thought of myself as a small dog kind of guy...until I met Little Man. I love this dog.

So those would be our dogs. Megan also has two cats, named Xanthus and Waldo. They've gotten pretty used to me and are tolerant of the dogs for the most part.

And that's where I'm at right now. I spend most of my time with Megan, with the dogs, with Megan and the dogs or at the Humane Society. That said I do still get out and have a good time with regularity. So you will get to hear about things other than my pooches. But for now we're going to leave it here. I will be back soon.

JeffRey

1 Comments:

Blogger Halley said...

I miss you terribly.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home